The Tel Aviv harbor was built in 1936 as an emergency measure. Until then, Tel Aviv had relied on the nearby seaport in mostly-Arab Jaffa, but the Arab revolt against British rule[a] put an end to that arrangement. Since Tel Aviv never really had the right conditions for a harbor, it ended commercial operations in 1965. The area continuted to decline until it was a complete wasteland, but in 2002 a massive transformation program was put into motion and the harbor is now a premier district for entertainment and shopping.
|Which has been seaport since ancient times. (Wikipedia reports that Jaffa's harbor has been in use for the past 4000 years.)|